Thursday, December 22, 2005

Why is a sting operation called so?

I read news papers a lot....& Many times I came across a word called Sting Operation..
I dint know the meaning of this.. Only thing I knew was that its some type of a trap used by Police, Army, Media....
I was eager to know the correct meaning.....
I then asked an Army personnel who was known to me...
And he gave me this answer


A sting operation most likely owes its etymological origin to the bee.
Typically, a sting operation involves an investigative agency such as the police or the media,
who lure a criminal to commit a crime in order to trap them red-handed.
They might pose as a criminal themselves, and thereby set up a trap in terms of an alluring offer,
often known as a honey trap.
Once the target takes the bait, the trappers "sting" them by way of arrest or publication, the way a bee would sting someone who tries to take honey from a beehive.
-Aj

9 comments:

Ajay said...

@gangadhar-its my pleasure..

@ammu-as far as i know karnataka and maharastra women life style has improved....no probs for them

PNA said...

hey Ajay
will definitely come to ur blog to clear doubts ......;):)
that is a good explanation

Cheers and hugs
Ash

merry christmas Ajay
ur graphics are really good

Ajay said...

@ash-- yeah sure.....####!!!!!
thanks...

Sudarshan said...

Superb post lol..dude whats you doing studying engineering?? Ur a wealth of information on a large variety of subjects..thats outstanding!!

Ajay said...

@gangadhar- yeah same to u....

@sudarshan-- thanks buddy

paurna said...

hey ajay,seems ur blog is an encycolpedia.so much info.btw thx for dropping by.

but i wud like to know how did u stumblw upon my blog.i had never visited ur blog before and the one's who had made comment on my blog were all whose blog i had visited.so how come anamoly

paurna said...

but hey i am happy u found my blog cos hadn't u made the comment i would have never found ur blog which seems damn cool.

Ajay said...

@paurna--hey thanks..... while i was randomly doing through no. of good bloggs i found urs

the_ego_has_landed said...

hey this was a nice read...i knew about the sting bit..related to the bee... but Honey trap and the whole thing related to a bee and its hive..was enlightening!