Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mumbai Floods.... (My Experience)


Have Seen A Thin Fault Between Life And Death

Last year my brother (sudhir) experienced hurricane and I experienced floods for the first time in my life......

During my semester holidays I had been to Mumbai (as usual)....


...I was in Andheri (east). My cousin sis wanted to buy a PC ,so planned to meet the dealer that afternoon.. . We were in his office by about 2pm & when we came out of the office by about 3:20pm it was raining heavily.... oooohhhhh!!!! Didn’t notice that when we were inside...

Were waiting at the bus stop but din find and bus or taxi …. Then decided to walk home (about 6-8kms)… Water got accumulated on the road & was rising pretty quickly… I was enjoying the water rise.. We were walking on the divider, which was submerged in water… … When reached Air Port road the water had raised to about 3&1/2feet That was not a matter of worry for me ( coz of my height 6feet 3inches).. but could see other people finding it difficult to walk...

Just 15 min after we crossed a small bridge, water started flowing over the bridge and some people and bikes had flown with it.. That was a lucky escape We then reached the crossing of maroll.. had to cross the raod but water was flowing dangerously

When I was just about to cross the road, One old lady ( about 65yrs old) from behind called me to help her to get down from the divider and cross the road..She was with her Daughter (about 40yrs) and Granddaughter (about 20yrs) ... When I was helping the old lady to cross the road the other two shouted to leave her and help them and the old lady pleading to first let her cross… They were arguing with each other in Gujrathi. I could understand only a bit of it... .. I was totally amazed …that was a wonderful scene… (I was literally laughing)…. I then first helped the old lady then the other 2… ooh was how some people in order to save their own lives forget others…

As we moved further the water raised above my jeans pocket.. That time I had problems to walk, I was afraid that one wrong step or a slip would cost my life… I could see people getting out of their cars, sitting on the car roof etc. Some shoes, dupattas, bags etc was flowing with water and was obstructing us .... oohhh!!!! We reached home by about 7pm..

The apartment is situated at some height hence there was no trouble there…But my younger cousin had not returned from college. Went down in search of her… but didn’t find her, we where there till about 11:30 and couldn’t contact home as our mobiles were jammed, & coz of power cut couldn’t see anything…it was a terrifying moment… We were tensed..

When we reached home found that younger cousin had reached home …. That relieved us….. But one thing for sure, if I was short I would not have survived... Thankful to God and my sister's presence of mind... coz if I would be alone would have waited to see the cars disappear in water not aware of the danger ahead.

HHHHuuuuuuuu this was the first time I had experienced floods and hope shpuld be the last...... I dont know how many typing mistakes i have made as dont have time to check..... I am sorry if any.... : ) and sorry if i bored you with a loooooooong post...

------Aj


29 comments:

i dont believe. said...

it is funny what some people turn into when they're facing trouble... wonderful post, very interesting stuff.

ps.. i beat your nerd score.. 75 =P

Keshi said...

Both tragedy and triumph brings out hidden qualities in us...thats when we will really know what we r capable of and not...

Good post!
Keshi.

Ajay said...

@i dont believe--Thats gr8 I will try to improve mine and cross ur score of 75...

@keshi-- Thats right...

Nabeel said...

quite sad .. the relief efforts were great though .. people actually talked about the good and prompt relief efforts of India when we were facing katrina .. the relief efforts here were a disaster.

I really like ur name dude .. Ajay ..
it's one o fmy fav. hindi names.

Jewel Rays said...

Wow..What an experience man. Its pretty scary.

Ajay said...

@nabeel--tanks

@unveilling-- yeah i was ...

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Hi ....

dont apologise for the post ... itz ur space .. and ur thoughts ...

and , of course , we'll read ... so ...

i have never experienced these things except for a landslide at Thirupati , and almost literally got drowned due to carelessness at the beach ....

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

and pls , can u help me with the graphics when u r free ? only if u r free , i.e.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

This was a great read ... .sorry if i am offending u here ... but the pics and text together made for a great read ... it was smthgg reading all this from a person who actually experienced nature's fury ... till now , had just heard a 3rd person's view point

Ajay said...

@deepa-- hey thanks...about the graphics i can help u for sure but after 17jan... I am busy in my exams now....

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

surrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee

Vamsee said...

This is a good post! I love the dance clip you have on your blog:) Visit my blog at Bindas Bay.

Sudarshan said...

It's really great to hear a first hand experience like that..but I bet you must have been terrified!!I'm glad you got away with it without much damange.....luck was on your side!!I know people who have walked for days to reach their homes in the midst of non-stop rain!!!

Ajay said...

yeah i was terrified when found difficult to walk coz one wrong step would lead me to trouble.. .... But one thing for sure, if I was short I would not have survived... thankful to god.... i was lucky....

div said...

hoh..what a scary experience u had..i can relate with the pictures on how the situation was..
its reminding me of a small earth quake incident which i had experienced,,when i was in kerala..

btw liked ur blog..specially those graphics..

sailu said...

You have a great blog here Ajay and great post too!

Gowri Shankar said...

Things like this gives u a totally new perspective on life and wen u hear it from people instead of tv sets it just scares u.Life is just too unpredictable.

Ajay said...

@div-- thanks

@sailu--thanks

@gowri--thanks

Phil O. Sophia said...

unbelievable - i just need to absorb it right now.

it is very different than hearing an impersonal account of it on the news.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you n everyonez safe!

Lifez unpredictable.

btw.. liked the graphics used!

-archie

Shikha said...

I am living in Pune,so didnt have to bear the brunt much..but i heard from my friends in mumbai how hard it was for them

Ajay said...

@demi-- thanks

@Shikha-- i had to go 2 pune the next day but cancled coz of floods...

Ajay said...

@gangadhar-- yeah thanks

@alive-- thats true but there were people who lost their lives saving others

tiffkindred said...

Wow. THat is amazing! Wishing you a wonderful weekend!Cheers...t

Ajay said...

@irish--thanks

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

exams were ok ????

good luck again

the_ego_has_landed said...

its a long post...but a good one!:) I remember reading it in the papers for days.. one of my best frens were in mumbai and was really worried...glad u made it thro the floods!N yeah u r really lucky u r tall

Ajay said...

@deepa--only 2 subjects r remaining...it will get over on 17th

@ego--thanks.

Anonymous said...

i too am real glad that you were tall... therefore we get to read your blog day after day. :)) well narrated man. i am 5 ft... i would have to wrestle with the water to wade thru it . i have read a lot on the floods. its thru tough times that we actually get to see compassion and selfishness work side by side. - neets